Fontanarossa airport in Catania is situated in the southern part of the city, delimited in the east by the Ionian sea and in the west by the coastal hill ranges that represent the most eastern spurs of the so-called “Terreforti”. Passenger traffic is expected to be in the region of 6 million in 2010. In the light of such predictions the adjustment and restructuring of the actual air terminal has been necessary in order to meet increasing traffic demands. The main interventions of the project either under an architectural, plant engineering and structural profile concern:
- The airport passenger terminal
- The aircraft stationing areas
- The parking areas for cars, buses and taxis.
- PLB (passenger loading bridge)
- Aircraft parking areas, lighting systems, video security surveillance.